7 Reasons to Donate to Goodwill
Last month, arson destroyed thousands of dollars worth of donated goods at our South Boulevard retail store in Charlotte. But it didn’t destroy our hope.
We are working toward rebuilding, but we need our community’s support more than ever to do so. The individuals we serve each year through our job training and employment programs need your help. It all starts with your donations – by giving to Goodwill, you are helping directly change someone’s life.
7 reasons why it’s more important than ever to donate to Goodwill:
1. It’s time for Spring Cleaning: It’s a sunny 80 degrees in Charlotte today, and we know the spring cleaning bug is already biting! When it comes time to clean out those closets, drawers, attics and cabinets, Goodwill is a convenient choice for dropping off those items you want to donate.
2. It keeps our landfills happy: By donating instead of throwing away your household items, electronics and clothing, you are making an environmentally-friendly choice to keep those items out of our local landfills. Last year alone, Goodwill helped divert millions of pounds of items from landfills.
3. Electronic waste is growing: When you upgrade your cell phone, camera, laptop, GPS or other electronic devices, make sure you dispose of your old devices properly. Goodwill makes it easy – just include those items with your clothing and other items in your Goodwill donation! We recycle electronics responsibly – good for you, good for the environment and good for our community.
4. It’s a learning opportunity: Many parents look for ways to teach their children about the importance of giving. Why not do so by asking your child to donate a few of their own items to help others?
5. It funds job training programs: 90 cents of every dollar spent in our stores directly funds our job training and employment programs, which last year helped more than 16,000 individuals. Unemployment is still a huge issue in our community, and we believe that helping people find work can be life-changing – for the individual and their families. Your donations change lives.
6. You make a difference: Every single donation, big or small, makes a difference. If you can’t tell from the examples above, click here for an inspirational story about how one man’s life was changed because of your donations.
7. You can get free stuff: If you are a fan of Checkers hockey (we are!), bring a donation to the game this Friday, March 16, and you will receive a free ticket to a future game! It’s so easy. Plus, during intermission, Checkers CheckMates will be modeling some looks from our stores. If you haven’t been to Goodwill lately, you might be amazed at what you can find!
To those of you who donate regularly, and to those of you who might donate for the first time in the coming weeks, we want to offer our sincere “thank you.” You are the reason Goodwill works.