DIY Photography Backdrops
If your New Year’s resolution is to take more family photos, you don’t have to spend a fortune to capture beautiful images of your loved ones. Whether you’re a photographer looking for extra photography props or a family trying to add some flair to your annual family picture, creating the perfect backdrop can quickly become a frustrating experience. It’s not always easy to find items that complement a picture without overtaking it, especially if you don’t where to look or what to look for. Goodwill, however, can help you create a perfect backdrop for your family photos with ease – and without breaking the bank. The next time you head to your local Goodwill store, look for the following items:
- Sheets: Sheets are a staple when it comes to photography backgrounds because they function as the perfect backdrop. Look for neutral colored sheets—think white or black—since these colors will make the subjects in your photograph pop. Before you hang your sheet and take your family photo, make sure that you don’t hang it in front of a window (light will shine through) and that it’s free of wrinkles (these will show up quickly in a picture and will tip off everyone that you’re using a sheet).
- Oversized picture frames: If you’re looking for a fun way to spruce up a family photo, try using oversized picture frames. You can easily create a unique photo by purchasing a large frame—or even a large artwork or portrait—and taking out the back. Have the two family members on the end hold the frame, get everyone’s face inside of it and snap away. The end result will be a frame-worthy family photo.
- Fun accessories: Don’t let your family photos become yet another carbon copy of last year’s photos. Instead, hunt for some fun accessories that make this year’s picture stand out. Goodwill is full of interesting outfits, unique hats and all sorts of other accessories. Adding in some flair through these props will liven up your family pictures.
- Signs: Another way to spruce up your family photos is to look for unique and interesting signs that you can add to the backdrop of your picture. Let each family member pick out their favorite sign or look for signs that complement each other to create a theme. Doing so will give your backdrop visual interest.
- Furniture: Goodwill is a haven for unique furniture pieces, which can be used in the background or as props in your family pictures. Old chairs and tables can easily be repurposed into funky props with a fresh coat of paint. Bonus: after the picture is taken, you’ll have a new piece of furniture for your home!
Your local Goodwill store is sure to have anything and everything you could possibly need for creating the perfect background for your family photos this year. With a little creativity, you can create a unique family photo without spending a fortune.
Michelle LaRowe is a mom, parenting author, and the editor-in-chief of Longhorn Leads, parent company of KidMondo, www.KidMondo.com, one of the first online baby journals. Visit http://www.Kidmondo.com and start chronicling your baby’s major milestones and everyday moments for free!